Caldera waited. It took two minutes. Then she heard the noises: things falling, quick footsteps accompanied by some choking sound. She peeked through the small window in the door. The room was empty, with a chair thrown over, and the remnants of the spiked supper still on the table. As she entered and proceeded to the corridor at the far side she could hear the female guard throwing up in the distance. This would give her a minute or two, she figured.
There were five doors, all to the left. She went straight for the fourth and punched in the code. Immediately the door sprang open, giving her entrance to the baren concrete cell. Valerie was in the center of the box. Standing: there wasn't anything to sit on. Her hands were cuffed behind her back.
- Mom, I came home early from the bath yesterday, and I guess I saw something that I wasn’t supposed to discover.
She hesitated for a moment. Then she said:
- Oh! you mean that you saw … us?
- Well, that was kind of a mishap. But you’re not a kid anymore, so you shouldn’t become alarmed by discovering that middle-aged people have a sex life too. Even parents.
- Well, I had one or two surprises.
Mom shrugged her shoulders.
- A little swinging has never harmed anyone. Your uncle has always had a weak spot for me. And that my lively sister has made an impression upon your dad is hardly surprising.
- I was rather referring to the kinky stuff.
- Now let’s see if you two bitches have been sufficiently warmed up to be of use to us guys!
I couldn’t believe that dad was talking to mom in such a way! But I had more to come.
- Down on your knees, bitch!
My outburst was not so much due to annoyance as to surprise. The swimming bath had been closed because they were chasing rats? Well, I might as well head back home then.
When I approached our house, I saw that both my parents’ car and that of my uncle and aunt were parked in the driveway. They had not gone into town then. Even if it was daylight, I happened to notice that the lights were on in the basement. That was strange, because our basement is a mess, and nobody ever goes down there. We have often enough talked about restructuring it for some useful purpose. But nothing has come of it. My curiosity had been aroused, so I went to take a look through the window. And I got a shock!
In the middle of the room, my mom and aunt were standing! They both had their arms tied behind their backs! Rope around their wrists and above the elbows! And their mouths and eyes were covered with some black stuff! Was it tape?
My immediate reaction was that we’d been burgled, and I was on the brink of calling the cops. But something stopped me. Because, where were my dad and uncle? Our house isn’t exactly a palace, so their whereabouts were easily established by peeping through the windows of the ground floor. They were sitting cozily talking in our living room, each with a can of beer in his hand. This could mean only one thing. That dad and uncle Willy had tied up mom and aunt Ann and placed them in the basement. But what for? I had to find out!